Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute held a Media Day on Thursday, July 15. The school welcomes its charter class on Aug. 2.
- 42 active acceptances
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores for accepted students range from 30-42
- 70 percent of the charter class have some research experience; another 18 percent have exceptional research experience defined by original research or publication
- 34 undergraduate institutions are represented
- More than 1,650 aspiring physicians applied and 220 were interview utilizing a unique technique developed at McMaster University called the Multiple-Mini Interview.
- Construction began in 2008
- More than 500 workers too part in the construction
- 207,519 square feet
- 1,441 tons of steel
- 207 tons of Hokie Stone, hand-carved on site
- 4,500 yards of concrete
- Approximately 340,000 bricks
- Architect: AECOM. Virginia Tech Alumnus Daniel DiMarco was the architect for the building. DiMarco received a Master of Architecture in 1995 and Bachelor of History in 1988.
- General contractor: Skanska
- Of all the construction trash that left the building, 78.3 percent has been recycled
- Designed to LEED standards
Visit the VTC website.