From: Virginia Tech Police
All students, faculty, and staff are reminded that taking basic precautions can reduce incidents of theft. Please follow these basic guidelines:
- Lock your residence hall door at all times; never leave the room unlocked even for short periods of time.
- Remove valuables from the common area of your suite when you are not there.
- Never leave books, backpacks, etc. unattended.
- Mark valuables so that they are identifiable.
- Never leave your residence hall window open unless you are in the room.
- Never leave residence hall or apartment doors propped open when moving (it provides easy access for criminals).
- Keep your car locked at all times and remove valuables from sight when parked.
- When loading or unloading, ask someone to stay with your vehicle at all times.
- Notify the Virginia Tech Police Department immediately if you see suspicious activity.
- Call 911 if you witness a crime in progress or have an emergency.
Females - Sign up for the Virginia Tech Police Department's free self defense class titled, Rape Aggression Defense.
Program the Virginia Tech Police non-emergency number (540-231-6411) into your speed dial on your cellular phone (911 calls from cellular phones are routed off campus).
Call 231-6411 (for non-emergencies) to report crimes, request outreach programs. You can also call the TIP line at 232-TIPS (8477) to provide information anonymously.