skip to main content

Virginia Tech News / Articles / 2015 / 06 

Brodie Hall demolition begins this week

June 8, 2015

Exterior of Brodie Hall
Brodie Hall

The next step in the transformation of Virginia Tech’s Upper Quad begins this week with the demolition of Brodie Hall.

The demolition will allow for the construction of a new residence hall. When combined with Pearson Hall, which is now under construction, the two will house approximately 1,100 members of the Corps of Cadets.

The two new residence halls and the proposed Corps Leadership and Military Science Building will transform the Upper Quad while maintaining the heritage of the one of the most historic precincts on campus.

“These two new residence halls and the new Corps Leadership and Military Science Building reflect the university’s, the Board of Visitor’s, and the commonwealth’s strong support for this historic living and learning community.” said Commandant of Cadets Maj. Gen. Randal Fullhart.

The new buildings will offer larger space and 21st century amenities including improved electrical and communications infrastructure. In keeping with recent contemporary Collegiate Gothic construction on campus, the buildings will incorporate sloping slate roofs with gable ends and Hokie Stone.

Pearson Hall is scheduled to be completed later this summer and the new residence hall is scheduled to be finished by fall 2016. The buildings will contain dorm rooms as well as study and lounge space. Pearson Hall will house the corps' cannon, Skipper, which is fired during many corps events and after Virginia Tech touchdowns or field goals at Lane Stadium.

The plan to redesign the Upper Quad was approved by the university’s Board of Visitors in March 2013. Rasche Hall was razed that summer to make way for Pearson Hall. As part of the plan, Lane Hall, an iconic symbol of the corps’ history, was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Thomas Hall and Monteith Hall will be razed once the new residence halls are complete.

Brodie Hall is composed of an old section (Barracks No. 3) completed in 1900 and a newer section completed in 1957. The building honors the memory of Col. William Mayo Brodie, professor of mathematics and former first assistant commandant of cadets, who worked at the university from 1901 to 1932.

The project architect and engineer is the Clark Nexsen firm and the contractor is the Barton Malow Company.

Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of $513 million. The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.

Contacts: