The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and the Virginia Tech football team continue their proud partnership to highlight the colors during the pre-game ceremony at every football game.
Three football players are selected, because of their performance in the last game or during practice, to carry the American flag, the state flag, and the team’s spirit flag as they lead the team onto the field. They carry the flags the length of the field and deliver them to cadets at the south end of the field.
The cadets performing this honor are also selected based on their performance during their training. The cadets render honor to the flags and then securely carry them off the field. At home games three freshman cadets are selected and one or two upper-class cadets travel with the team and receive the flags at away games.
Cadet Michelle Aylor of Harwood, Md., a junior majoring in industrial and systems engineering in the College of Engineering who is a recipient of the Commander Robert D. Anthony '36 Emerging Leader Scholarship and is also a member of the Naval ROTC program and Cadet Kirsten Hughes of Virginia Beach, Va., a junior majoring in psychology in the College of Science who is a member of the Citizen-Leader Track program were selected to receive the flags at the University of North Carolina game. They will travel and lodge with the team, as well as participate in all team meetings and meals.
Both Aylor and Hughes were selected to represent the Corps of Cadets based on their strong performances as cadre sergeants, their outstanding professionalism is this role, and for their dedication during New Cadet Week and over the first month of school.
Future cadets will continue to be selected for this honor based on their performance in the cadet regiment. The program is part of the proud partnership the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets has with the Virginia Tech Athletic Department and the Virginia Tech football team.
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets welcomes Class of 1962, Highty-Tighty alumni back for homecoming
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, Hokie football team to highlight the colors at Cincinnati game
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, Hokie football team to highlight the colors at Bowling Green game
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, football team to highlight the colors at University of Pittsburgh game
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, Hokie football team to highlight the colors at Austin Peay game
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, Hokie football team to highlight the colors at Georgia Tech game