BLACKSBURG, Va., Sept. 27, 2012 – Those who have not dined recently at Preston's, the restaurant at The Inn at Virginia Tech, may be surprised to learn all that's happened during the past academic year. Changes include a Wine Society and a rework of the lunch buffet.
- The Wine Society offers aficionados a new way to learn about wine. Members receive discounts as well as access to free education-and-tasting events.
- Two private-label wines – a merlot and a chardonnay – are produced at Prince Michel Vineyards and Winery in Madison, Va.
- Preston's first executive chef, Jason Smith, came on board in late 2011. Smith, who was raised in Floyd, worked at Chateau Morrisette in high school and was executive chef at The River Company Restaurant and Brewery near Radford.
- A new dinner menu ramped up quality with focus on local supplies and fresh ingredients.
- Each weekday lunch buffet now has a theme, with Wednesdays, for example, being Virginia Farm Day, and Tuesdays featuring international dishes.
Changes in the dinner services recently drew a positive review from the Roanoke Times' food critic.