Virginia Tech is celebrating a milestone year for Homecoming with a series of events from Oct. 16-23, including concerts, a pep rally, and a performance by comedian Bill Cosby.
This year’s theme, “85 Years of Timeless Traditions,” commemorates the university’s first Homecoming game in 1926 against the University of Virginia.
Homecoming Week kicks off Monday, Oct. 17, with an appearance by hypnotist Jim Ward, who will hypnotize the Homecoming Court as part of his act. The show will be held in the Commonwealth Ballroom in Squires Student Center at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6:30. It is free and open to the public.
This year’s annual Laugh Riot event features a performance by comedian Bill Cosby at Burruss Hall Auditorium on Thursday, Oct. 20, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for students, $11 for children under 12, and $45 for general admission. Tickets are available at the Squires box office. The event is sponsored by Virginia Tech Union’s Lively Arts series.
Other events include
- The Homecoming Concert on Wednesday, Oct. 19, in Burruss Hall featuring Travis Porter and Mike Posner and the Brain Trust will be sponsored by the Black Student Alliance. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students, faculty, and staff and $15 for the general public. All tickets purchased on the day of the show will be $15. Tickets are available at the Squires box office;
- The Division of Student Affairs alumni reunion will be Friday and Saturday, Oct. 21 and 22, for those who have served on the Homecoming Court or been members of the Residential Leadership Community or Virginia Tech Union. For free registration or to find more information, visit the reunion website;
- The annual Spirit Rally will take place Friday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. on the Graduate Life Center lawn. It is sponsored by the Student Alumni Associates;
- The third annual Dr. Zenobia L. Hikes Homecoming Step Show will be Friday, Oct. 21, in the Commonwealth Ballroom in Squires. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are on sale at the Squires box office at $5 for students involved in Greek organizations and $7 for the general public;
- The Homecoming parade and football game against Boston College are on Saturday, Oct. 22. Game time has yet to be determined; and
- The University Bookstore Homecoming 5k Run/Walk at the Virginia Tech cross country course will be Sunday, Oct. 23. The one-mile Fun Run will begin at noon, and the 5k will begin at 1 p.m. A pizza party sponsored by Domino’s Pizza will follow the 5k. Registration fees range from $5-$20 depending on the event. For more information or to register, visit the website.
Visit the Homecoming website for more information.