Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Geography student awarded integrity scholarship

Head shot of Kirsten Elizabeth Miller Kirsten Elizabeth Miller

BLACKSBURG, Va., May 10, 2011 – Kirsten Elizabeth Miller of Malvern, Pa., a sophomore majoring in geography in Virginia Tech’s College of Natural Resources and Environment, was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the National Society of Collegiate Scholars for her commitment to integrity.

Scholarship applicants were required to submit two essays about how they embrace integrity in their daily lives, both personally and academically.

“I can relate to the topic of integrity,” said Miller. “A lot of the world is about getting to the top, but to me, having integrity is about more than just that.”

“I was very impressed with Kirsten’s essays,” said Bailey Kasten, Scholarship Review Committee member. “Kirsten thoroughly explained how integrity plays a vital role in her daily life. I’m proud to award this scholarship to her.”

“My essays were about how integrity contrasts with corporate greed, and how it promotes good leadership,” said Miller. “I tried to give a broader perspective about living life honorably, and how integrity is measured by difficult situations, not just following the rules.”

“The money from this scholarship has given me the opportunity to take a summer service-learning opportunity in Africa,” added Miller. “Working with a nonprofit in Zambia will give me the opportunity to enhance the state of our planet while enhancing my own character.”

Miller was among five students nationwide to receive the honor. The scholarship is one of two that are awarded annually as part of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars’ I Stand for Integrity Week.

The society is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and the nation’s only interdisciplinary honors organization to invite first- and second-year college students. The organization has more than 750,000 members and chapters in all 50 states.

The College of Natural Resources and Environment at Virginia Tech, which consistently ranks among the top three programs of its kind in the nation, advances the science of sustainability. Programs prepare the future generation of leaders to address the complex natural resources issues facing the planet. World-class faculty lead transformational research that complements the student learning experience and impacts citizens and communities across the globe on sustainability issues, especially as they pertain to water, climate, fisheries, wildlife, forestry, sustainable biomaterials, ecosystems, and geography. Virginia Tech, the most comprehensive university in Virginia, is dedicated to quality, innovation, and results to the commonwealth, the nation, and the world.

Written by Wes Maxey of Collinsville, Va., a junior majoring in communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.