Amanda Lee Montgomery, a senior majoring in psychology in the College of Science at Virginia Tech, age 20, of Max Meadows, Va., passed away Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011.
She was born May 3, 1990 in Radford, Va., and was preceded in death by her paternal grandparents, Eldridge and Wannie Montgomery; uncle, Tom Lindamood; and cousin, Lee Blevins. Amanda was a member of Fort Chiswell High School. She had attended the Governor’s School in Pulaski, Va., and was a senior at Virginia Tech where she volunteered with the sports program.
She is survived by her parents Terry and Helen Montgomery and maternal grandparents Mickey and Thelma Lindamood of Max Meadows, Va. Numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins also survive.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 20, 2011 at the Barnett Funeral Home with the Rev. Rick Lindamood and the Rev. Gleasanna Dixon officiating. Interment will follow in Draper Valley Presbyterian Church Cemetery. The family will receive friends Sunday from 12:30 p.m. until 3 p.m. at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial donations be made to the American Diabetes Association, P.O. Box 11454, Alexandria, VA 22312.
Barnett Funeral Home, Wytheville, Va., is in charge of arrangements.
Those in the university community who may wish assistance or desire counseling support may contact:
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 1-855-223-9277
- Aetna at 1-888-238-6232
- Kaiser Permanente at 1-866-517-7042
- Referrals to a campus cleric may be done through the Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787.