At approximately 7:45 p.m., on Thursday, Nov. 4, Virginia Tech Police received a report regarding two persons who appeared to be engaged in sexual activity in a women’s bathroom in Dietrick Hall (D-2). Officers responded and identified a male subject who was taken into custody for being drunk in public.
Over the past several days, investigators have completed numerous interviews in an attempt to determine what occurred during the incident. Based on those interviews, investigators believe that a sexual assault may have occurred. Investigation continues.
If you have any information about this incident, please contact the Virginia Tech Police Department at 540-231-6411.
The Virginia Tech Police Department would like to remind all community members of the following:
- Sexual assault is non-consensual sexual activity, ranging from unwanted sexual touching to forced intercourse.
- Sexual assault includes sexual activity with someone whose judgment is substantially impaired by alcohol or drugs, whether ingested voluntarily or unknowingly.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Report all suspicious people and circumstances immediately.
- Do not let unknown person into buildings.
- Use SafeRide (231-SAFE or 231-7233) between any points on-campus.
- Be careful about providing personal information to people you don’t know.
- Be cautious in confronting suspicious persons - Call Virginia Tech Police Department.
If you are the victim of a sexual assault, you have options and help available through:
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech: 540-231-7806
- Women’s Resource Center of the New River Valley: 540-639-1123
- Cook Counseling Center: 540-231-6557
- Dean of Students Office: 540-231-3787
For more information on resources go to www.stopabuse.vt.edu.