Ten recipes were selected from nearly 250 submitted by students' family members during the sixth annual Home Sweet Home Recipe Contest, sponsored by the Virginia Tech Office of Student Programs' Housing and Dining Services, a department within the Division of Student Affairs.
Cindy Kube and Kirsten Kube were awarded the grand prize for their Tofu Spinach Enchiladas recipe. They will receive lodging for two nights at the Inn at Virginia Tech for Family Day 2008.
Over the summer, family members of Virginia Tech students were asked to submit their student’s favorite recipe in several categories: appetizers and beverages, soups and salads, breads, vegetables and side dishes, main dishes, desserts, breads and rolls, cookies and candy, and a category called “This and That.” Recipes were submitted from families located in 10 states and China.
Winning recipes include
- Mama Burton’s Enchiladas from Allison Burton and Thomas Burton of College Station, Texas;
- Apple Dapples from Chandra Womack, Courtney Keys, and Craig Keys from Halifax, Va.;
- Scotch Bonnet Salsa from Chris Scott and Kiersten Scott from Fredricksburg, Va.;
- Sandy Hook Rice Salad from Cindy Kube and Kirsten Kube from Virginia Beach, Va.;
- Strawberry Spinach Salad from Denise Bogaty-Smith and Garrett Smith from Gelnshaw, Pa.;
- Cashew Rice Pilaf from Dolores and Donald Brooks from Claytor Lake, Va.;
- Tangy Asian Citrus Salmon from Gina Tusing and Matthew Tusing from Edensburg, Pa.; and
- Pink Pasta from Stacey Dougherty and Missy Dougherty.
The winning recipes will be featured at the Home Sweet Home special dinner to be held at D2 from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 24. Winners are invited to attend the dinner where their recipes will be adapted to serve the 1,500 guests expected to be in attendance. In addition, each entrant will receive a cookbook featuring all of the recipe entries. The students of the families whose recipes were selected will receive $50 in Dining Dollars and all winners will receive a personalized cutting board. The winning recipes will also be featured on the Student Programs website later this year.
Students, faculty, staff, and the public are welcome to attend the dinner. Flex plans, Dining Dollars, Hokie Passport and cash will be accepted at the door. Find more information about this and other upcoming special events.
Written by Melanie Harris.