BLACKSBURG, Va., March 5, 2007 – The Virginia Tech Police Department recently announced the promotions of eight officers and staff members. Individuals were honored at a ceremony held in the Bowman Room of the Jamerson Athletic Center Feb. 14.
Those promoted include:
• Lieutenant Vince Houston of Blacksburg, was promoted to captain of administration;
• Lieutenant Joseph Albert of Christiansburg, was promoted to captain of operations;
• Senior Detective Curtis Cook of Christiansburg, was promoted to lieutenant (for operations);
• Sergeant Scott Lau of Christiansburg, was promoted to lieutenant (for patrol);
• Detective George Jackson of Christiansburg, was promoted to lieutenant (for patrol). His promotion will be effective April 1;
• Deborah Morgan of Christiansburg, former human resources policy and planning coordinator in the Office of Human Resources was named lieutenant (for administrations);
• Officer Tony Haga of Radford, was promoted to detective sergeant; and
• Officer Sean Smith of Christiansburg was promoted to patrol sergeant.
In addition, the following officers were transferred to the Virginia Tech Police Department’s Detective Division:
• Officer Stephanie Henley of Floyd, to detective;
• Officer Daniel Hardy of Narrows, to detective.
“These promotions acknowledge the dedication, hard work, and service that each of these individuals have given to the Virginia Tech community,” noted Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum. “Students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors are well served and are safer because of the many contributions given by our officers and staff members.”
The Virginia Tech Police Department is a full-service, nationally accredited police department. Forty full-time sworn police officers are complemented by additional security guards, campus watch officers, safe ride officers, and administrative staff. University police officers have jurisdiction and legal authority on all university-owned property and work closely and share jurisdiction with the Blacksburg Police Department, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department and other law enforcement agencies.