BLACKSBURG, Va., May 5, 2005 – On Friday, May 13, Virginia Tech will hold its 133rd commencement and the 25th National Capital Region commencement ceremony. Here are some facts about this year's graduating class and the ceremony.
* 3,396 undergraduate candidates to receive diplomas.
* 37 students will receive associate’s degrees from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
* 1,106 graduate students (898 masters, 24 Ed.D.s, 184 Ph.D.s) to receive diplomas.
* 88 students will receive Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) degrees at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 14 in the in Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center.
* Total Virginia Tech graduates from academic year 2004-05 (includes December graduates): Undergraduates, 5,538 (3,962 spring, 1,054 fall, 522 summer school); graduates, 1,918 (1,106 spring, 812 fall).
All University Commencement Ceremony:
* 6 p.m. Friday, May 13, Lane Stadium/Worsham Field.
* Approximately 30,000 family members and guests are expected to attend the event.
* Keynote speaker: David L. Calhoun, president and CEO of GE Transportation.
Graduate School Commencement ceremony:
* 1:30 p.m. Friday, May 13, Cassell Coliseum.
* Keynote speaker: Judith I. Bailey, president of Western Michigan University.
Northern Virginia Commencement ceremony:
* 3 p.m. Sunday, May 15, at the George Mason University Center for the Arts in Fairfax, Va.
* Ceremony to honor 261 degree candidates.
* Keynote speaker: Claire M. Fraser, president and director of The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR), Rockville, Md.
Calendar of Events (Friday, May 13) :
* Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Ceremony: 11 a.m., Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center Auditorium.
* Army Commissioning: 1 p.m., Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center Auditorium.
* Graduate School Commencement Ceremony: 1:30 p.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* Naval Commissioning: 2 p.m., Colonial Hall, Squires Student Center.
* University Commencement Ceremony, 6 p.m., Lane Stadium/Worsham Field.
Calendar of Events (Saturday, May 14)
* College of Engineering Convocation: 8 a.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* College of Architecture and Urban Studies Convocation: 8:30 a.m., Burruss Hall Auditorium.
* Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine Convocation: 8:30 a.m., Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center.
* College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Convocation: 11 a.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* College of Natural Resources: 11 a.m., War Memorial Gymnasium.
* Pamplin College of Business Convocation: 2 p.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* Air Force Commissioning: 3 p.m., Colonial Hall, Squires Student Center.
* Note: The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences and the College of Science will hold several departmental convocation ceremonies throughout the day.
Calendar of Events (Sunday, May 15)
* National Capital Region Commencement ceremony: 3 p.m., George Mason University Center for the Arts, Fairfax, Va.